Little Cedar History

1859: The Little Cedar congregation was first organized on November 26th at a meeting in the log home of Hans Erickson Floen, the present Ryan and Anna Sathre farm. Charter members were Rognald and John Olson Holstad, Tideman and Eric Knutson Aaberg, John and Harold Irgens, Helge Floen, John Osmundson Hauske, Henrick Benson Hagen, John Olson Hesjedahl and sons, John and Ole, John Olson Qvale, Simon Knutson Vik, Ole Gullickson Tildenn and sons, Gullick and Tollef, Anders Olson Alrick, Ole Johnson Holstad, Rasmus Rasmussen Vignas and Nels Finkelson Prestehegge.

1863: The first church was built where the cemetery is now located. It was named after the Little Cedar River which originates in Marshall Township. The church was made of logs furnished by members of the congregation. It was 30’ x 40’. While it was being constructed, the Civil War broke out and Norwegians in the area responded in large numbers. The first pastor, Rev. C.L. Clausen, served as a chaplain and later returned to resume his duties for the five area congregations.

1867: On October 12th, several congregations united, forming a single charge. These were Little Cedar, St. Ansgar, Rock Creek, Six Mile Grove and Blooming Prairie. Rev. P.G. Ostby, Rev. Clausen’s assistant, became permanent pastor.

1876: The original log building was replaced by a frame building. However, times were difficult and it took ten years for all the furnishings to be completed.

1877: Another parish alignment was made with Six Mile Grove, Mona, Lyle and Little Cedar joining and calling Rev. B.B. Gjeldaker as pastor.

1881: Rev. J. Muller Eggen became pastor, serving until 1900.

1900: Pastor Wm. A. Rasmussen accepted a call as pastor with the stipulation that a parsonage be built. Five acres of land were purchased for the sum of $450 and a parsonage was constructed. For two years previously, people in the Village of Adams had talked of renting a building for worship instead of going out into the country for most of the village residents did not own horses.

1900: Little Cedar and West LeRoy became a parish served by Rev. Rasmussen.

1906: Pastor O.C. Myhre assumes the pastor’s duties.

1907: Cornerstone for the new church was laid on September 1st.

1908: First service was held in the village church on March 22nd with the parsonage close by. At the same time, extensive remodeling was done on the church in the country in preparation for its 50thanniversary. This church was free of debt when it was completed.

1909: 50th anniversary celebrated in November. The new church was dedicated on March 28th.

1910: Frame church burned to the ground in June. It was believed that a spark from a passing train ignited it.

1915: C.B. Runsvold was the next pastor and during his pastorate, the weekday school was introduced and continues to this time.

1919: Pastor O.C. Brenna became pastor

1928: Pastor Alfred Brevik became pastor

1948: Pastor Luther Berven became pastor

1950: Pastor M.L. Witte became pastor

1957: Pastor Truman Mohn became pastor

1963: Pastor Wayne Quibell became pastor

1964: Little Cedar congregation dedicated a new educational building in April

1968: A new parsonage was built

1977: Pastor Allen Gunderson becomes pastor

1977: Groundbreaking for a new church in April.

1977: The last services in the old brick church were held on Christmas Day.

1978: Services were held for the first time On January 8th in the present church. A snowstorm caused the cancellation of services on the previous Sunday.

1979: Pastor Nancy Wigdahl becomes associate pastor and weekday teacher

1988:  Pastor Donna Joseph becomes associate pastor

1989: A new tracker action pipe organ was dedicated on October 29th. Since that time, three more ranks of pipes have been added bringing the total of pipes to 1002. Also added, was a set of 25 Peterson chimes playable from the organ on a separate keyboard.

1995: The parsonage was sold and the pastor purchased his own home.

1999: Opens daycare

2000: Pastor Richard Kastner becomes our Interim Pastor.  He was here until 2002.

2002: Pastor Shari Mason becomes pastor.  We become the home of the Southland Faith Community Food Shelf.

2002: We celebrate 150 years of ministry by Remembering the past, Rejoicing in the present and Renewing its commitment to serve.

2010: Pastor Leslie Neist becomes pastor

2011: Pastor Marggi Pleiss-Sippola becomes our Interim Pastor

2012: Pastor Susan Rector-Li becomes our Interim Pastor

2012: Pastor Natacha Kemp becomes our Interim Pastor

2013: Pastor Jeremy Johnson becomes pastor

© 2017 Little Cedar and Marshall Lutheran Churches
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community